[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:19:37 +1200

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 10:58 +0100, Simon Osborne wrote:
> On 21/06/2011 22:13, Chris Neilson wrote:
> > When you are fighting you can either use Magnakai Weaponmastery OR Grand
> > Weaponmastery (cf mindshield and psi-screen and kai-screen) you dont use
> > both simultaneously. Its like fighting using Kung Fu Panda style and
> > Praying Mantis style simultaneously, or (if youre a Fist of the North
> > Star fan - Hokuto Shinken and Nanto Seiken).
>
> Or, conversely, it would be like using knowledge from GCSE and A Level
> courses simultaneously. Which makes perfect sense!

I see what youre saying, but if youre sitting an exam its going to be
either GCSE or A level. An A-level exam is not going to ask GCSE
questions. Getting a bonus to understanding GCSE concepts is not
necessarily going to help you in your A-level exams.

If you dont understand how to differentiate youre never going to pass a
Calculus exam, regardless of how much more other knowledge you get (also
assuming the entire exam is differentiation).

> >> I think that this gives a lot of weight to the idea that the Mentora
> >> bonus is a "hidden loyalty bonus" that can apply equally to GWM.
> >
> > Surely your Action Chart looks something like:
> >
> > Kai Disciplines:
> > Weaponskill in _______ +2 COMBAT SKILL points if this weapon carried
> > Mindshield: no points lost when attacked by Mindblast
> > Mindblast: +2 COMBAT SKILL points
> >
> > Magnakai Disciplines:
> > Weaponmastery: +4 COMBAT SKILL points, -1 COMBAT SKILL (unarmed), +2
> > bow/dagger throws
> > Psi-screen: no points lost when attacked by Mindforce
> > Psi-surge: +6 COMBAT SKILL points but -1 ENDURANCE points per round
> >
> > Grand Master Disciplines:
> > Grand Weaponmastery: +5 COMBAT SKILL, +3 bow throws
> > Kai-surge: +8 COMBAT SKILL but -1 ENDURANCE points per round or +4
> > COMBAT SKILL
> > Kai-screen:
> >
> > How exactly can you apply the Mentora bonus to GWM? It obviously applies
> > to WM. GWM is a completely different discipline.
>
> ...except that you are already getting a +3 to using a Bow with
> Weaponmastery right from the start of the Magnakai books:
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/06tkot/title.htm#sect170>
>
> (See also Sections 178, 243, 268, and 340.)
>
> Then the Mentora bonus kicks in to make it...+5. Which then DROPS to +3
> at Grand Weaponmastery level? So you actually get worse on attainment of
> a more advanced Discipline.

So you mean like curing (+1 EP per non-combat section) -> deliverance
(no EP regeneration)?

Its not that hard to believe that certain Disciplines were overpowered
and got nerfed for the GM series.

My point is that the reader's loyalty bonus is that you get to choose
either the Magnakai Discipline (which may well be more powerful once you
factor in all the bonuses) OR the standard GM Discipline. If you start
applying Magnakai bonuses to GM Disciplines you'll find things suddenly
become insanely easy. With a GWM spot bonus of potentially up to +5, +
Mentora bonus, + Item bonus you practically cannot miss :)

> I *can* see where you're coming from on this, Chris; I had to
> double-check that the +3 Weaponmastery with Bow bonus did exist in the
> Magnakai books before responding, just to be sure. But the fact that you
> do get the +3 bonus for missile weapons with Weaponmastery right from
> The Kingdoms of Terror indicates to me that the later +2 Mentora bonus
> is /a permanent addition to/ [the section bonus + the RN-pick] rather
> than a standard Weaponmastery value that gets raised by 1 with
> attainment of Grand Weaponmastery.

I also agree with you. During Magnakai books i would be adding +5 to
dice rolls after reaching Mentora. When I took that character into the
grandmaster series I would use either the +5 from my magnakai skill OR
the GWM bonus ... whichever was higher/required in the circumstances. I
would NOT apply the magnakai mentora +2 bonus to the GWM bonus though.