[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 02:35:45 +0000

> Basically, if you get someone who has never played a LW book before they
> should be able to read the instructions given in that one section (or
> refer back to the rules section or a Newsletter for clarification) and
> know exactly what to do. If there is any room for confusion there should
> be a footnote/clarification.

Well, that's probably not going to happen.  There's always room for some level
of ambiguity.  There is no possible way to use footnotes to account for every
conceivable interpretation of Joe Dever's language.  Since these are Project
Aon books, we have the Project Aon forum.  The best the footnotes can do is
deal with the more common ambiguities.

> Anyway, Ive digressed (again). The issue I was originally trying to
> address is:
> I don’t see why adding x “to the the number picked” precludes also
> cumulatively adding other X’s to the number picked as well!
>
> And the short answer is that there is no rule that states bonuses should
> stack by default, in fact the rules explicitly tell you how to deal with
> the bonuses from WS/WM and mindblast/psi-surge when used simultaneously.
> Theres no reason to assume that other bonuses stack by default. Its not
> that cumulatively adding the bonuses to the number picked is wrong, its
> just that its not covered in the rules and so you have to take the
> section's instructions at face value. Face value says you add the bonus
> to the number picked, not to the total. It does NOT say "you may also
> the second bonus to the number picked". If the section isnt specifically
> saying you should add them together, why would you add them together?

Because it strikes me as absurd that Dever would create a bonus that caters
exclusively to those players who refuse to master the Bow at Mentora level and
beyond.