[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 08:46:47 +1200

heh, I cant help but think this is a subtle way to say "shut up" :)

But I dont think you do understand my argument.

When shooting a bow you can choose to use either Weaponskill or
Weaponmastery or GWM (but I can only use one of them) and apply the
relevant situational bonus. Assuming a "normal" section:

* If I used WS I get no bonuses at all for a total of +0.
* If I used WM I would get +3 from WM-with-bow, +2 bonus if I was at
least Mentora for a total of +5.
* If I used GWM I would get +3 from GWM-with-bow for a total of +3.

Alternatively, if the section says you get on-the-spot +5 for having
GWM:

* If I used WS I get no bonuses at all for a total of +0.
* If I used WM I would get +3 from WM-with-bow, +2 from Mentora bonus
for a total of +5.
* If I used GWM I would get +5 from GWM-with-bow for a total of +5.

In regards to Curing/Deliverance there are 2 situational bonuses:
every section not in combat (I can use either Healing or Curing - but
not Deliverance because it doesnt have this situational bonus)
* If I used Healing I would get +1 EP
* If I used Curing I would get +1 EP

Once per adventure (I can use either Curing or Deliverance)
* If I used Curing (and was at least Archmaster) I would gain +20 EP
(but only if I was under 6 EP)
* If I used Deliverance I would gain +20 EP (but only if I was under 8
EP)

Obviously, it would be less useful to use Weaponskill when shooting a
bow, or Curing's once-per-adventure healing and you probably arent going
to do it - much like you wouldnt use a normal weapon if you had the
Sommerswerd.

Your system, if I understand what youre saying, seems to involve trying
to work out bonuses from the Magnakai series that arent explicitly
listed in the Grandmaster series and adding them to the explicitly
listed bonuses but only if the Grandmaster bonus isnt higher and only if
the moon is waning (ok the last part was just me taking the piss). To me
this seems overly complicated; you have to look at each Discipline,
compare it to its Grandmaster equivalent and then work out if the bonus
should stack/update/be updated the Grandmaster bonus.

My system, you just choose which Discipline (and relevant bonuses) you
use in any given situation. Basically, when shooting a bow in the
Grandmaster series you either get your +5 from WM-with-bow (there are no
sections that give you a on-the-spot bonus for using WM-with-bow, but if
there were youd get the on-the-spot bonus +2) OR the on-the-spot bonus
from GWM; you cant have both.

Given the above situation, and the way I understand your argument, youd
get the on-the-spot GWM bonus, +2 from Mentora bonus which would
occasionally end up with a higher bonus than my system (ie when the
on-the-spot GWM bonus was +4 or +5).

Basically it come down to how youve interpreted Newsletter #28:
"The +1 EP bonus gained when passing through combatless sections does
still apply, but only if you have played and survived the Magnakai
series books. Joe Dever intended this as a 'hidden loyalty bonus' for
readers who had played the earlier books, which is why it was omitted
from the Grand Master rules."

(it explicitly states the +1 EP bonus but I assume it refers to all
bonuses not covered in the Grand Master rules)

You treat the +1 EP as the hidden loyalty bonus and add it on top of
anything in the GM rules - ie the bonus itself still applies. I read it
to mean the whole Discipline (ie Curing and its associated bonuses) can
be used whenever applicable - ie the Discipline and its bonuses still
apply. Both interpretations fit the statement above - yours just applies
more bonuses in certain situations but to me seems more messy as you
have to work out which bonuses stack with other bonuses.