Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: Peter Kaulback <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 01:21:35 -0500

Provided you disconnect regularly Hugh, this is the key to this theory.

I, like most every other dialup user I know, am connected for 1-6 hours
continuously and I personally know 2 seniors who have dedicated dialup
connections. They connect when they boot up in the morning and
disconnection at shutdown in the evening, or power outage (whichever may
come first ;>)

Utilizing Snort Intrusion Detection Software or IDS I can pick up
regular attempts continuously on XP and Linux. Dial up connections
present different scenarios than broadband connections and software
firewalls are required more often and as these are built-in in both XP
and Linux (as you likely know). Linux has the advantage in that its
software firewall/NAT can filter outbound traffic as well.

Because even a fully patched system can get a trojan working perfectly
well, human error can work wonders :)

Peter Kaulback