Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 09:14:39 -0600

I didn't see my questions asked at the FAQ's and I guess Hugh
never saw them.  But SpyBot just had an update that had some
new entries for the hosts file, and I finally got my questions
answered.  SB's update did NOT delete the MVPS entries!  I
don't understand this.  Why is it then, when you add your own
entries to the hosts file, SB will overwrite and delete
those???  And why is it when you undo the Immunize area (which
sets the hosts file back to default), then Immunize again, that
also deletes custom and MVPS entries?????  So because of this,
after every hosts file update from SB, you  have to re-add your
own user-created hosts file data each time, then you have to
run the HostsMan MVPS update!  HostsMan last because it removes
duplicate entries.  So you're going to have to keep a list of
your own personal additions, then manually add them in
alphabetical order!  What a PITA.  There's got be a better way.
-Clint

Happy Thanksgiving to all and God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://www.OrpheusComputing.com
http://www.ComputersCustomBuilt.com

From: "John O'Flynn"

I was wondering when we would see the bottom line :-)

But before it all gets laid to rest (or to give the pot another
stir), I
want to put in two more cents worth:

(1) Firewalls:  Back in the summer I installed Comodo on my
wife's
laptop when an XP patch conflicted violently with ZoneAlarm,
and ZA had
to be replaced pronto.  I chose Comodo because of its excellent
reputation, and I can report that it deserves all the praise it
got.  It
is a fine program, logically arranged and easy to use.

(2) In one of its earlier meanderings this thread got onto
Hosts files.
For years I've just been downloading the MVPS version whenever
there's
been a new one, enjoying the delight of seeing all those
ad-servers
killed, and not giving it much further thought.  Then the other
day I
actually re-read the MVPS page
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
and rediscovered just how much valuable info is packed into
that page
and the faq that goes with it
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm .   This covers
various
issues that came up in this thread, like "Is Merging the MVPS
HOSTS file
with others recommended?" and "Do other programs add entries to
the
HOSTS file?"  They mention HostsMan and another similar program
called
HostsXpert ("a terrific multi-function Hosts File Manager"),
and give a
"host" of other interesting links.  Anybody out there who is
still
wondering what a Hosts file is and what you do with it, ought
to start
with this page.

John