Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 03:18:09 -0600

Ok I just found out something possibly troubling regarding #8
below.  SpyBot just had an update, and it would see on its
"Immunize" page if you look through it under IE you'll see
"Domains" and "IP's" which could be hosts file updates, but
also at the very bottom is the hosts file itself, which
currently lists 9948.  My hosts file earlier had 9984 lines
(not all are actual domains or IP's, some are comment lines),
and now after the SB update it has 9986 lines.  Only 2 more,
but it could have had much more updates than that.  So the only
way I can know is if I can remember one of the domains I added,
then see if that domain is in the new hosts file.

If it's not, then that would mean SB only updates its OWN
additions, and you lose anything you added, and you lose what's
added from that site Hugh mentioned.

1.  You just click "Add", then do it again and again for each
site.

2.  Adding one to the hosts file totally blocks ALL and ANY
access, you can't even get to the site.

3.  No, if it's in the hosts file it doesn't need to be in
Restricted Sites.

4.  I'm not sure, theoretically only YOU can modify it (or
allow access to it) because it's read-only.  Try and make a
change to it as-is and watch what happens, so yes, it's
read-only for a good reason.  Many anti-malware programs will
lock it.....it could be it's not read-only by default, and
maybe SpyBot, Spyware Blaster or other may make it read-only, I
can't remember.  Spyware Blaster will make encrypted backups of
it, and restore a backup if something screws it up.  SpyBot
also makes backups and can restore them.  I remember seeing
something like "Lock hosts file" on one of my anti-malware
programs, but I can't find it now on any of them.  Spyware
Terminator has "Hosts intrusion prevention system".  My AV
software "Kaspersky Internet Security" (KIS) won't allow ANY
changes to mine unless I allow it, so it protects me from it
getting changed without my permission.

5.  Yes & yes, but if there's any entries in yours you may want
to see if they're in mine and if not, add them.

6.  I've never seen nor heard of a firewall-alerted attack or
potential firewall-alerted attack that did anything to the
hosts file.  It may exist, I've just never heard of it.
There's not much of a reason for a site to do that: if it's
listed in your hosts file, you can't even get to the site for
it to even try anything with your hosts file.  A FW can block
that kind of access from a site or IP, but only if it's a
decent one.  KIS that I use would prevent it.  (It's also a
firewall and system-wide protection suite).  There's much more
lucrative efficient things for malware to do to a PC than to
just modify the hosts file.

7.  I'm checking into that now.

8.  From the looks of it, it may update it and then saves the
previous one as a restorable backup, because I have a bunch of
them.  FAIK it may not ever update the hosts file, I've never
checked.  The backups created just could be periodical backups.
For it to be able to update the file that, it would have to be
able to override the PC's setting of read-only on the file.  I
don't know if it can do that.  The domains it puts in the hosts
file could be only put there just after you install it, and
tell it to add its list to your hosts file, and it may not be
updated again, and that may be when it makes it read-only. ?
If so, then it could have precedence over the read-only
setting, and be able to unlock it, update it, then lock it
back.  But, I've never gotten any alert from KIS that it was
trying to do that.

I'm going to have to try and remember what I last added to my
hosts file, then watch for any SpyBot hosts file updates, then
see if what I added is still there.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner