Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:43:13 -0600

Yes I too have that exact area created by SpyBot, but again
what I'm saying is that area is NOT in the MVP hosts file
version, and I'm still wondering how to incorporate both.  That
site John mentioned may have the answer,
http://www.abelhadigital.com/, but it seems to have many bugs
in it: "ATTENTION: This release doesn't fix many bugs that were
reported after v3.1.55, but (most of them) are fixed in the
UNstable version (3.2)."

Is that a quote from someone else or your words about Comodo?
I've never used it, so I can't say anything about installing or
uninstalling it, but currently it's the highest ranking FW out
there.  Many if not most FW's and AV software are plagued with
installation and uninstallation issues.  I guess the simplest
one out there is Zone Alarm.

It's certainly one's own prerogative to use or not to use a FW,
but it's incredibly risky not too.  At the very least, XP's
Native FW should be enabled, and a router be used that has a FW
in it.  A hardware router FW is seamless, I've used many and
I've never once had any issues with them, and there's never any
prompts from them.  Even with just a hardware FW from a router,
a PC can past most tests at FW testing sites.  One is certainly
potentially going to have far more problems getting their PC's
hardware and personal info hacked from lack of a FW, over any
issues learning how to use one.  That's what ERUNT (or other
system restore) is for. ;-)
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner