Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: David Grossman <dgrossman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 02:42:04 +0200

Thank you for your responses.

1. John's response confirmed one of my initial suspicions, as I wrote in my
initial message - that malware can change the Read Only attribute, so the
setting is of little value.

2. Hugh presented a surprising, but somewhat convincing argument against
using a firewall. Have others had similar experiences? Is the problem
limited to Comodo?
Actually, everybody probably DOES have a firewall installed and turned on by
now. The weak Windows firewall was turned on by default with XP SP1 or SP2
(I forgot which).
Hugh, do you turn off the Windows firewall for your clients, or do you
disable it when there is a problem?

3. Clint, you asked whether there is anything wrong with having duplicates
in the Hosts file. Did you get a response? If they will not cause a problem
(except for possibly adding some nanoseconds for websites to load) then we
can just add lists with addresses.

4. I'm still concerned about Spybot or other antimalware programs deleting
the entries that I add.

5. I would like to confirm my understanding about adding IP numbers instead
of website names to the Hosts file. Is the following summary correct?
- Add website addresses to the Hosts file
- Add IP numbers to the Restricted Zone

5. I'd like to find out the experience of others with the HostsMan and
Wikipedia hosts files before installing them in my computer. Has anybody on
this group used them?

David Grossman

Checked by AVG.
10:34 AM