Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: Peter Kaulback <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 08:18:36 -0500

In addition to all this great advice I would like to add that if one
uses these large HOSTS files and you experience a slowdown in your
computers performance then you should make another change to your computer.

The Mvps.org site has this:

<!snip>
     Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends
to slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2000/XP/Vista. Windows 98
and ME are not affected.

     To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

         * Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
         * Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties
         * Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
         * Select: Manual, or Disabled (recommended) click Apply/Ok and
restart. [more info]

     When set to Manual (or Disabled) you can see that the above
"Service" is not needed (after a little browsing) by opening the
Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check the "Status"
column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show "Started" in
that column. There are several Utilities that can reset the DNS Client
for you ... http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Related

     Editors Note: The above instructions are intended for a single
(home-user) PC. If your machine is part of a "Domain", check with your
IT Dept. before applying this work-around. This especially applies to
Laptop users who travel or bring their machines home. Make sure to reset
the Service (if needed) prior to connecting (reboot required) to your
work Domain ...

     JBF sends along this Tip: IPCOP running a DHCP server needs the
local PC DNS Client enabled to function.

     Reset the DNS Client with a simple batch file (submitted by: Ronny
Ong - 2K/XP only)

     DnsManual.bat<http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DnsManual.bat>
(resets the DNS Client to Manual) [right-click and select: Save Target As]
     DnsDisabled.bat<http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DnsDisabled.bat>
(resets the DNS Client to Disabled) [right-click and select: Save Target As]
     To use: double-click on the downloaded file and reboot that's it ...
<!endsnip>

HTH

Peter Kaulback