Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:59:49 -0600

In the case of the *Hosts* file, it would be mentioned so you'd
know what to do.  For other cases, if you didn't do anything
then it should be denied.  If it's the registry as in your
example, I'd look at the key then I'd know.  If the key isn't
mentioned, as with anything else, deny it if you're unsure.

I doubt many have gone to more websites sites as I have, 12 hrs
a day, 7 days a week, for about 15 years, and countless
"questionable" hacking type/malware sites, and I never once had
anything try to change my hosts file.  And I can count the
times on one hand that my PC has been infected with something.

We ALL must use various anti-malware programs, and like I said
earlier we all have an obligation to ourselves **to learn** how
they work.  It's also an obligation to others online, for if 1
PC gets infected with something, that can and will spread to
millions.  You don't have to "monitor" anything, that's what
the software is for, *it* does the monitoring for you.

It really is simple: when it doubt, deny.  Nothing should be
running in the background anyway if you're installing something
because that can interfere with installations, so you won't get
any warnings doing that.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner