Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 01:16:32 -0600

1.  Like I said to John:
But at any rate, it's not a waste of time because of course not
every kind will do this, only rare forms of malware will, so if
it's read-only it's still going to be MUCH safer.  It's logical
to leave it read-only so it will be a safe as possible.

2.  I can and never will recommend to anyone to not use a
firewall.  Especially for newbies.  They can literally save
your butt!  Sure some of them can sometimes be confusing and
complicated, but that just depends on which one you use, and
like most things on your PC, you simply must LEARN about it!
We all have "a personal obligation to ourselves" to use one and
learn about it.  Even one on the basic default non-confusing
settings is better than none at all.  I believe it was SP2 that
put the FW on by default.

3 & 4.  No and I'm still wondering how to incorporate both.
That site you mentioned may have the answer,
http://www.abelhadigital.com/, but it seems to have many bugs
in it: "ATTENTION: This release doesn't fix many bugs that were
reported after v3.1.55, but (most of them) are fixed in the
UNstable version (3.2)."

So what I did was put a test area in my hosts file:

127.0.0.1 www.HostsFileTest.com
127.0.0.1 HostsFileTest.com

....but I'll have to wait until there's another SpyBot hosts
file update to see if that area still remains.  Well this
doesn't look good and appears to certainly be a problem: what I
did for now, was undo the Immunize area, and that set the hosts
file back to default, empty.  I then enabled it again and what
I added was gone!  So much for that.  I would think the same
problem will happen with new SpyBot updates.  My hosts file now
is only 9974 lines long, and yesterday it was 9986!  So it
would also seem that SpyBot screwed something up and didn't
even able all of ITS OWN hosts file additions like they were!
Because on this particular format, I had not yet added that
many new entries (12) to my hosts file.  I'm glad you mentioned
that about SB updates possibly deleting custom entries.  The
answer seems to be "yes".   So we're going to have to find a
way around this, and regarding your #6 (you had two 5's but I
changed it below in your post), adding new data to a hosts file
is going to have to wait until we can find out how to
incorporate ALL origins without them overwriting each other.
The answer could be we have to do it manually, which is a real
PITA.  You'd have to make a copy of it BEFORE there's a new
SB update, then let SB update the file, then find all the
duplicates and remove them, then add them again from other
origins!  At least http://www.abelhadigital.com/ may be used to
find the duplicates.  But you can't download it now because
they've reached their quota!!!!  And the mirror download for
the STABLE release version is the wrong link, it goes to the
BETA version!  After some searching I found it here if anyone
wants it: http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlhostsman.html

5.  I asked that yesterday of Hugh I think it was, I haven't
seen a reply yet.  There are no IP addresses in the hosts file,
so it must be that way for a reason, as in it's possible you
can't put them there.  I just tried looking for info on this
and
can't find any.
-Clint

God Bless