Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: Hugh Vandervoort <hughv2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:34:20 -0500

1.As I said, your AV program should warn you of this. I've never been
involved in an attack of this kind, but others have told me that AVG
warned them of such an attack.
2.I always make sure my friends have:
A NAT firewall.
Anti-Virus. Almost always AVG free
Windows Defender
The Windows Firewall turned on.

I have installed Spybot with Tea Timer for my regulars who get into
trouble through careless or overly aggressive surfing.(Usually porn).
Other than the occasional Spyware problem, none of these people have
ever had a significant problem. In most cases, these problems are caused
by children, and in those cases I install a limited user account.

If you have children who use your computer, you can count on a disaster
of some kind unless you educate them properly, or use a limited account.
Spybot is especially good  at preventing problems in these cases, but it
must be kept up to date.
My friends are not particularly savvy or adventurous, but if I had more
input, I'd recommend Mac or Ubuntu Linux for the average Email using,
web surfing occasional Word processing user I usually see.

4. I don't see how a duplicate in the HOSTS file could cause any harm.
Spybot only added to my HOSTS file.
5. My reading suggests this is correct. A further advantage of the HOSTS
file is that it works regardless of which browser you're using.