Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: Hugh Vandervoort <hughv2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 04:28:51 -0500

1. Spybot and others can add multiple entries.
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/restricted.htm
2."You'll find many times these parasites use an IP address rather than
a URL. They do this to avoid being blocked by an entry in a HOSTS file.
However you can still add a layer of protection to your system by adding
those IP addresses to the Restricted Zone."
3.Not that I know of-and the restricted sites files can get too large.
4. Yes. A good AV program will notify you of this.
5. I haven't researched this thoroughly, but you could just update them
both periodically(New HOSTS file, followed by a Spybot update).
6.I don't use a Firewall. I think they provide a false sense of security
and often confuse the user.
7. Merge with copy and paste.
8. Spybot seems to merge (add to) the file.