Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: "John O'Flynn" <bofak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 19:49:07 -0500

It was the ISP who pointed out the conflict when we tried to find out
why we could no longer get on line.  He said various of his other
customers had the same problem and it was caused by the recent XP patch.
Now comes the really violent bit.  He said kill ZA.  I killed ZA.
Everything worked fine, but I felt uneasy with nothing but the lousy
firewall in XP so I installed Comodo.  Everything still worked fine and
still does.  I'll deal with any other violent conflicts if and as they
arise.  I'm quite good at those.  But I'm not saddling up and riding out
on Google looking for them.

This happened on a dial-up connection in a little place out in the
sticks, but that laptop is also used on high-speed and wireless
connections, and my wife says there is no way she's going to run it
without a good firewall.  I quite agree.

John