Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 01:37:59 -0600

By "legit source" I meant if you're at "website.com" and you
get a request (for an embedded video to play in the example I
gave), FROM website.com, that is probably legit to get the
video to play.  If the request is from "UnknownDomain.com", or
to/from a port that has nothing to do with this, that may not
be legit.

That's nothing, you could have OE or Outlook set to operate in
the "Restricted Sites Zone (more secure)" option which can give
the warnings about going to a typical "http" webpage instead of
a "https" webpage, and you have IE options set to notify you
when redirecting to/from one source (non-secure or secure) to
the opposite (secure or non-secure) or vice-versa.  Or, the
email was secure.  The overwhelming vast majority of sites are
non-secure http (AKA unencrypted) because there's point in them
being secure (https), because no personal sensitive information
is exchanged.  The only time a webpage needs to be secure is
when you give for example a credit card # to order something,
or to login to an account.

If all you were asked to give at the M$ webpage was name and
address, that's no big deal and normal, and they were correct
in saying "not to worry".  But if you were asked to give a SSN,
credit card #, or other sensitive private information, that IS
a bid deal and the page then must be secure and that IS
something to worry about if it's not.
-Clint

God Bless
Clint Hamilton, Owner