Re: [PCWorks] A tip for stopping annoying harassing "slide-ups" (a kind of pop-up) immune to pop-up blockers

  • From: David Grossman <dgrossman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 04:35:58 +0200

I no longer know what is meant by a "legit source," Clint.

If something appears (without my request) on my computer screen, and it says
that it's from Microsoft.com, I really have no idea whether it's REALLY from
Microsoft.com.

I recently clicked on a link in an email from Microsoft in order to register
for a Microsoft conference. I received a message about being transferred to
an non-secure (or whatever they called it) site.

I exited and contacted Microsoft, and they told me not not to worry. I
thought that was a dumb answer, so I just attended the conference without
registering. I had to talk my way into the conference, because nobody at the
registration desk understood why I had made a fuss about the link.
Apparently everybody else just ignored that warning message!

Microsoft.com should be a "legit source," shouldn't it?

If I got this message when registering for a Microsoft conference - and then
I'm told to ignore it by somebody stupid at Microsoft - then how do I know
which source is "legit?"

David Grossman

> Yes that is correct.
>
> That doesn't necessarily always mean that if you do NOT click
> deny anything is going to be "changed" or harmed (see my post
> again on that AMA site that has embedded videos), sometimes,
> although perhaps unusual, it's requests from a legit source.
> -Clint
>
> God Bless
> Clint Hamilton, Owner
> http://www.OrpheusComputing.com