[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:10:14 -0400

Several successful cable channels (Discovery, TLC, History to name 3) have a
2 hour prime time block that is repeated.  This is partly due to only having
two feeds for 4 time zones, but I could easily see a "composite" Discovery
Networks based OTA channel offering the best cable shows from several cable
channels in a single 24 hour period.  Coupled with a PVR, there would be no
need for 4 channels to have 4 channel's worth of content.

John

P.S. If we had a viable OTA DTV that was truly plug and play, then DBS would
not have to provide local into local service, and would free up vast amounts
of satellite spectrum for either even more channels or at least increasing
the bitrate of what they already offer.  (I hate macroblock TV.)