[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:41:07 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> What you are assuming, but have yet to prove, is that
> the complexity, quality, and cost of a COFDM tuner and
> a "proper" ATSC tuner are the same.
>
> Other than your gut feeling that it should be, what is
> your basis for this assumption?

I could easily turn that question around, of course.

1. As we learned on this list, earlier COFDM boxes had
dual conversion tuners. And no one seemed to complain
about their cost. These are the front ends that eliminate
the intermodulation distortion problem, although cheaper
alternatives may also work well enough in practice.

2. As we found out recently, STMicroelectronics
introduced a fancy equalizer in its newest COFDM tuners,
which increased their echo tolerance. This at the same
time they announced their new ATSC tuner. And even with
this equalizer, the COFDM tuner is priced at $4.50.

So, in an effort to deflect further expressions of FUD,
it seems clear that a high quality tuner can be produced
at a reasonable price.

Furthermore, before engaging in even more FUD, seems to
me that it would be good to determine:

1. What is the differerence between the LG prototype and
the ho-hum box that used that same LG chip?

2. At what price point can the LG prototype be produced,
and what is the comparison with the price point of the
ho-hum box?