[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 08:25:06 -0400

Gentlemen (John and Doug)

I have been watching your sparring for several days. While my
sympathies tend to lie with John, I think that you are both missing
the point.

A simple switch to COFDM, with or without an upgrade to Advanced
Video Coding, would have NO IMPACT on the US Broadcast DTV transition.

As I keep saying, the FIRST ORDER problem has nothing to do with
technology; it has everything to do with the broadcast business model
and the perceived need to maintain regulatory advantage over the
competitors who are delivering broadcast content to 85% of the U.S.
television audience.

Doug's inquiries about antennas is a prime example of this. For some
reason he thinks that the ability to receive signals from distant
markets is important to television viewers. It is NOT.

What is important is the ability to receiver the handful of channels
that they are interested in, most of which are NOT available OTA. The
next most important thing is that the source of this content be dirt
simple to install and reliable. The masses are not going to put up
fancy antenna configurations to pull duplicative signals from
multiple markets, or simply to receive all of the stations in their
market. Forget multipath, the entire idea of rotors and ugly rooftop
antennas died a long time ago for most Americans.

IF broadcasters ever decide they need to compete with the program
distributors who are carrying their water today, then, AND ONLY THEN,
will technology become an issue. At that point the following issues
will become important:

1. Can the system support mobile and portable reception? This is the
ONLY major competitive advantage for broadcasters.

2. Is the system easy to install with a simple omnidirectional
antenna that can be located either inside the home, or outside (i.e.
gutter mount). This configuration MUST be able to receive all local
channels (distant channels are not relevant if local transmission
facilities work properly); no rotors, electronically steerable
antennas or antenna arrays allowed.

3. Is there a well defined "platform" with all of the services that
consumers expect today from the other multi-channel services.
        a. A well designed, integrated program guide;
        b. Local caching to support PVR functions and (premium)
cached VOD services;
        c. Back channel capabilities to support interactive and data
broadcast services,
        and transactional services;
        d. Competition among vendors to drive innovation and lower
costs to consumers.

4. Can the system compete with cable and DBS in terms of delivering
targeted advertising based on viewer preferences, location, or
demographic factors?

When viewed from this perspective, it is clear that ATSC is simply a
place holder, which will need to be replaced in order for
broadcasters to field a competitive service.