[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Eory Frank-p22212 <Frank.Eory@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 20:15:48 -0700

John Shutt wrote:

>Frank,
>
>If the US were to switch to DVB-T COFDM, would there be enough similarities
>with a US DVB and an Australian HD DVB set top box to justify a company
>building them for the US market, even given the same demand level as ATSC?
>
>I think it would be much more likely to be able to "piggy back" the R&D that
>went into those Australian HD devices, and have product available here.

I believe that a "multiple markets" product strategy that is fundamentally
based on one product (save software differences and minor hardware differences)
would make financial sense. "Piggy backing" the R&D into volume sales is
everything. Or as Dermot would say, "it's all about economies of scale."

But even with a plug-and-play OTA technology, where mundane things like
receiver performance are not an issue, there are so many differences between
the US and foreign OTA TV markets that I would not bet my money on OTA DTV
commercial success in the US. Not without the presumed (negotiated) carriage by
cable & DBS. A single TV broadcaster -- even with multicasting -- cannot offer
real competition to the cable/DBS multichannel packages. Ventures like USDTV
are a step in the right direction, but not enough, IMHO. Even an offering like
Freeview -- wildly successful on its home turf -- would fail miserably here.
The fact that it's free is compelling. The fact that it's not the same "basic
cable/sat channels" that we're all used to would make it uninteresting to most
US TV consumers.

-- Frank