[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 20:52:01 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

> The techniques that work well were first devised by Linx in
> 2002. The only excuse for these good receivers not to be
> available is simple lack of interest from OEMs. Lack of
> interest doesn't depend on modulation type, except among
> evangelists.

Nope.  Actually prototypes and staged demos were devised by Linx and
perfected by Zenith/LG.  But techniques that work in real commercial
boxes have not yet been seen.  Lack of interest from OEM's derives from
a low expectation of volume and profit coupled with a high expectation
of returns.

But you can bet that if anyone could charge a few dollars more and avoid
those returns they would have done it by now.

Personally I feel that all buyers of integrated sets should also return
them when they are not satisfied with the included receiver.  We will
see how that works.

- Tom