[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 20:45:00 -0400

Dr. McDonald,

Just because multipath is not a concern at the McDonald residence does not
mean it is not a problem.  Ask Mr. Schubin his opinion of what concerns him
most.  I have a receiver and a Silver Sensor, and the winning feature of
this antenna, also touted as the savior of ATSC, is it's ability to be very
directive, thus reducing the multipath load on the receiver.  Now you want
an omnidirectional high gain outdoor antenna and say it's no problem?

If you don't want to have to install a rotor, then mount two yagis on your
mast, each aimed at the market of interest, then sum them into one downlead.
Cable head ends do it all the time, and serious rural channel surfers have
done so for many years in NTSC.  I'm sure you can do the same with ATSC.

In the meantime, I will continue to press for a system that will
successfully deliver our quality programming to the highest percentage of
our off air community.

Unfortunately, I am prohibited from sharing some of the emails and calls we
have received in the past year with complaints about receiving our digital
signal.  So you will just have to take my word, or dismiss it out of hand,
that all is not well in the land of OTA DTV.  At least not in Lansing,
Michigan.  However, I shouldn't worry, because help is just around the
corner.  The Cold Fusion Receiver should be on the market soon.

John Shutt