[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 19:02:42 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> Let me ask you this, Bert.  If a good friend of yours came
> to you asking your advice on what to purchase for an ATSC
> receiver today, what would you tell him?  Buy or wait a
> few months?  What advice would you have given him in 1999?
> 2000?

Frustrating, ain't it? But I practice what I preach. I'd
tell him to wait as long as it takes. Or if he can't wait,
then be ready to do some cherry picking.

I keep coming back to the same thing, though. The receivers
we would have here would need VHF as well as UHF, would need
to accommodate US frequency bands, would (hopefully) all
need to be HD-reception compatible. So they aren't the same
boxes sold in the UK. They also need to work in environments
where there might be close by, strong adjacent stations etc
etc, which create problems for COFDM just like any other
type of receiver. All that stuff we went through recently,
that had NOTHING to do with modulation type.

So what makes you think that any manufacturer would be any
more willing to produce excellent examples of those boxes,
ones that work in Mark Schubin's apartment, without a date
certain? why wouldn't they just produce the cheapest possible
box meant only to meet some mandate?

The techniques that work well were first devised by Linx in
2002. The only excuse for these good receivers not to be
available is simple lack of interest from OEMs. Lack of
interest doesn't depend on modulation type, except among
evangelists.