[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 16:16:45 -0400

Nick Kocsis wrote:

> Let's face reality.   The U.S. DTV transition is a "farce".
> The "Miller Plan" is not a loaded agenda.  In fact it makes
> a lot of sense.

1. What is "the Miller plan," in your view? (I read it as
being shifting to COFDM, using the AVC introduction as a
good excuse.)

2. I might agree on the characterization of the US DTV
transition, and have even said as much on more than one
occasion. But how would shifting to COFDM change that? Ask
yourself this simple question. If in Berlin, where only 9
percent were using PAL OTA and were content doing so, a date
certain had not been set, how long would that transition
have been drawn out? Look at the sales of STBs vs time
charts in the mabb report.

> Yes, we all have hidden agendas.   I am still trying to
> figure out what yours is.

Yeah, me too. I've been trying really hard to figure out
what my hidden agenda is, and why I should even have one.
Perhaps following the arguments makes more sense than trying
to invent some fantastic conspiracy theory.