[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:21:17 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> A simple switch to COFDM, with or without an
> upgrade to Advanced Video Coding, would have NO
> IMPACT on the US Broadcast DTV transition.

One of the few things we can agree on completely.

> 1. Can the system support mobile and portable
> reception? This is the ONLY major competitive
> advantage for broadcasters.

You know that bit about the Philadelphia city-wide
wi-fi network? Never mind whether it is a good idea
in terms of a local govt service or in terms of
using up the unlicensed public spectrum. But is the
fact that the system is wireless ONLY an advantage
for mobility?

No. Mobility is not even a design goal. But
ubiquitous reception without cables is what makes
that interesting.

Being able to receive at least the local channels
without having to have an infrastructure like cable
or DBS is an advantage even without mobility.

>(distant channels are not relevant if local
> transmission facilities work properly);

Distant channels are desirable for any real OTA
user. They are a competitive advantage of taking
signals from non-umbillical media.