[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Bob Turner" <bob.turner3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:55:03 -0400

Craig -

Mark (I think) wrote:

> Local networks ARE NOT distant markets...they are THE local market.
> Why do I need to pull in a Philadelphia station that duplicates the
> content of network affiliates in MY market (Baltimore)? Importation
> of distant signals is a byproduct of the fact that you guys cannot
> control your emissions...

You just hit on one of my pet peaves!  Our local market (Boston) is obsessed
with the weather!  If we have a snow day, they offer all-day coverage to let
us know it is snowing!  Once you decide to stay home or school is canceled,
the last thing I want to know about is that it is snowing.  I am stuck at
home and want to watch entertainment to escape from the frustration of the
snow or find out what is happening outside Boston and its snow.  But all
coverage is pre-empted to report that snow is falling.  That is why I seek
out a more distant Station, e.g. Providence in order to watch regular
programming.  Our local stations also pre-empt for Billy Graham Crusade, and
many other reasons that cause annoyance and frustration.  That is why I like
to have alternative station that normally duplicate what is offered in the
local market.

Just my 2 cents.

Bob