[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 13:24:23 -0700

I think easily programmable universal remote controls combined with the
much added value of the DVR helped the customer accept the STB.

Dan

"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
07/08/2008 07:39 AM
Please respond to
opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

Bob Miller wrote:

> An OTA digital receiver is not only something most are
> unaware they are buying but also something most do not
> need. If they were aware and could save $10 by buying a
> monitor most would IMO.

In the past, there was a healthy percentage of cable customers who
shunned the STB, insisting on the basic package so they could use the
TV's own NTSC tuner. I'm not sure why that customer would no longer
exist in the digital age. I believe that the majority of cable customers
fit this description? Maybe not.

Plus, of course, new TVs will be coming out with two-way CableCard.

I expect that the built-in digital receiver will be used more rather
than less, at least for clear QAM and OTA.