[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 00:39:28 -0400

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 4:24 PM, John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> ah -- the "monitor tax."  :-)  Rememer when Frank Eory said that the tuner
> mandate would lead sellers to only offer monitors?  Or was it that consumers
> would only buy monitors?
>
> Just like they buy cars without tires.
>
> John Willkie

People are very aware of the need for tires on a car. An OTA digital
receiver is not only something most are unaware they are buying but
also something most do not need. If they were aware and could save $10
by buying a monitor most would IMO.

Once analog is off the air and the requirement goes away and the
competition heats up we may still see monitors take over. If there is
no need for an analog receiver there is no need for a digital
receiver.

Bob Miller