[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 16:32:12 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> But I don't believe it was just the small number of HD's.
> I think a case could be made that WESH had a weaker
> bargaining position than they expected because without
> Cox they had zero HD reach in Gainesville.
>
> So it took longer for the two parties to converge on an
> agreement.

Makes sense to me.

In the macro sense, there have to be advantages for the networks to have a
presence in the local OTA market, or there wouldn't be any OTA left. Even if
that advantage is purely for the retrans consent agreements they can get from
the MVPDs in the area (and I'm not saying it is). I've never ever understood
how NBC could be so dismissive of the Gainesville market. Nor why the customers
haven't raised a stink about it.

I *think* that Craig told us that more and more, local affiliates are paying
the networks to carry their content? Did I remember this right?

If true, then that would make this even more of a mystery. Because this is more
similar to the Euro OTA model, which seems to do quite well.

The micro argument might go something like, if an OTA NBC affilate is created
in Gainesville, then fewer people might be lured to the MVPDs, and NBC loses
out. The obvious counter argument is, it's more likely that NBC will simply
lose the OTA audience. It is not likely that just one program would convince
MVPD subscribers to drop their subscription.

Something doesn't add up.