[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:46:36 -0400

At 6:09 PM -0700 7/5/08, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I just hooked up one of the converter boxes and found that DTV awarness PSAs were running on the VegasPBS digital channel. Now the VegasPBS digital channel is not the same sever output as the analog yet both are running awareness PSAs. But if you are seeing the digital signal, you either have a converter box, have a newer TV, or are watching cable. So I found it to be a little ironic.

Also, I noticed the informational stripes across the bottom are on both the digital signal and the analog of each station. I would think that the information should be on the analog but absent from digital so that those that are on digital or cable reception do not see it. But perhaps it is not easy to key the graphic on only the analog input.

A possible explanation.

Many cable companies have already converted their head-ends to receive the digital broadcasts, which generally provide a better quality picture than an OTA analog tuner. Thus the feed that is going out to analog cable customers may be from the digital channel.