[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 13:55:22 -0400

But I don't believe it was just the small number of HD's. I think a case could be made that WESH had a weaker bargaining position than they expected because without Cox they had zero HD reach in Gainesville.

So it took longer for the two parties to converge on an agreement.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 12:39 PM -0400 7/4/08, Tom Barry wrote:
Dunno. I think maybe a local affiliate has a bit more bargaining power with cable if they are actually broadcasting in that cable area and not 100% reliant on cable there for carriage.

It took a long time to get WESH HD out of Orlando carried on Cox Cable.

Actually it did not take long at all. Cox started delivering WESH-HD shortly after it went on the air. But WESH pulled the HD signal in a retrans consent battle because it was not covered by the retrans consent deal they had for the analog signal. It did take quite some time for the HD signal to be restored - not a big surprise since only a small number of homes in Gainesville and Ocala had HD capable TVs at the time.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx