[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 07:57:02 -0400

At 11:10 AM -0400 7/6/08, Tom Barry wrote:
This is usually not true, at least most places. In Jax I rented the HD STB from Comcast without subscribing to digital cable. Here in Gainesville on Cox I also take advantage of the Cox network HD shows using limited basic and my QAM cable ready PC and/or TV. I'm not even sure the cable companies are allowed to require digital TV subscriptions for the HD versions of the OTA networks.

You are correct that the cable company is required to offer the HD versions of local station in the clear. Thus, if you have a QAM tuner and analog cable service you should be able to tune to these stations without having to subscribe to a digital tier.

But to get all of the programming on the HD tier you must subscribe to digital cable. In my case my HD capable set does not have either ATSC or QAM tuners so it is irrelevant - I must use an external box to view HD programming, and to get this box from Cox I must subscribe to digital cable. I elected to get the HD cable box with PVR.