[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:29:51 -0700

I said nothing about PBS, although KPBS has been broadcasting A/97 for more
than three years.  (I first saw the packets more than three years ago, in
two streams)

I am saying that when she bought the tv, there were two scanning options.
Now there are three.  And, the title of that third option changed from
"Cable 1hr." one day to "Cable 1hour" two days later.

I can say that the tv has been connected to cable exclusively since a few
minutes after it was plugged in and that it has no Internet connection.

I guess it's possible that the tv added functionality more than a few hours
after being connected to cable, but I won't draw any conclusions about the
exact method it followed until I see the transport streams.

I did make a list of the patents the Funai/Sylvania tv claimed to be in
compliance with, but I just looked for the list and couldn't find it.

It isn't impossible that Cox is participating in a test, but until I see the
packets, I can't draw a conclusion.

The packets I have seen on KPBS-DT were in a separate program, most recently
called UpdateT.  Unless they've reconfigured that, it wouldn't have been in
channels 15-1 or 15-2.

I think I can conclude that the new functionality didn't come through the
power cord, and I know the option appeared after the initial scan, because I
tried all options in the original scans, because it didn't work and I had to
spend more than an hour manually discovering channels.

Did I point out that design of most TV sets occurs in San Diego?  Did I
point out that it's not a coincidence that KPBS-DT aired UpdateTV services
some time before the commercial launch?  Have I pointed out that local
broadcasters get calls from Sony, Sanyo, Panasonic, et al about oddities in
their PSIP and transport streams?

All I can safely report is the added functionality.  Channel scans now work,
and they didn't before, and they only work using a scan option that arrived
some time after the tv was first installed and configured.

John Willkie