[opendtv] Re: DTV awareness

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:07:40 -0700

Just exactly what planet are you living on?  You are now asserting that when
people buy a DTV television that they do not know they are buying a digital
television?

And, you don't believe that most people need television?

Over four years back, YOU told a guy on the alt.rec.hdtv usenet list NOT TO
BUY a HDTV set, that you would have something better in a few months.  Hell,
it was almost 5 years ago.

How did that work out for the guy?

You really go to insipid depths to make idiotic points.

Monitors are the province of people like Craig that think they are smarter
than the marketplace.  I'm sure dozens sell for home use in the average
month.  HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED FOR ONE IN A CONSUMER ELECTRONICS STORE?  THEY
AREN'T STOCKED!

Most of those bought monitors, I'm sure are returned as defective.

It's true that technically most people with digital cable converter boxes
don't need tuners.  By not having one, they might even save a dozen dollars.
However, they have to spend exorbitant money on gasoline to find one, and
when the cable goes out, they have nothing.  Sometimes, the cable goes out
during an emergency, and I don't mean an emergency in a distant town that
they were observing on SportsCenter.

As I've pointed out, my mother recently bought a replacement tv.  She knew
she would have to buy a digital set because "tv is going digital next
Feburary."  She bought one with an ATSC/QAM tuner.  The ATSC tuner was used
once, when I tested to see what signals she could get off-air.  Even with a
rabbit ears, she couldn't' get the closest signals.

However, without that QAM tuner, she would have to rent a cox cable stb for
$10 per month, and perhaps gain a few channels.  Without it, just last week,
Cox added a bunch of free digital channels.  She's now up to 26 or so.

And, here's something new.  When I first did a digital channel scan, it
couldn't find any; I had to do a manual search.  The last time I ran a scan,
NOT ONLY had a new "Cable 1hr" scan option been installed, but it found all
the channels I had programmed, and more.  Perhaps I need to explain what
happened for the folks on Roosevelt Island.  The TV set -- through the QAM
tuner -- downloaded and installed a new scan option.  Without her paying a
cent, other than her basic analog cable monthly fee.  (Which she has thought
was too expensive for more than 42 years.)

Think your set top box can update a television set?  I know it "would be
difficult" via a RGB connection.

John Willkie