[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:08:22 -0600

To say we are wrong in opposing Islamism is tantamount to saying we are wrong in favoring our own survival.<<

I am not opposed to Islamism. And I won't be until I perceive them as trying to make me follow their dictates. So far none have. Christian fundamentalists are much more my enemy because they are trying to force their strictures on me. Both are fascists. The Christians are in my back yard. The Islamists are 9000 miles away. I understand why the Islamists are anti-Western -- they see us as threatening their whole way of life. And we are. The band of murderers who attacked the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, were just that, a band of murderers led by Osama bin Laden. We gave up looking for Osama for the chance to attack Iraq. It was an illegal, immoral and unjustified invasion of another country. Why did we do it? Oil, baby, oil. For oil and to establish a military outpost in the Middle East. The war in Iraq has nothing to do with terrorism or Islamism or 9/11, it has everything to do with economics and power.

I have no doubt that there are people out there who think it's justified to kill innocent people, including moi, to obtain their political goals. Our country also has far too few qualms about that. What I don't understand is how our alarm over the fact that some people despise and revile us and want us out of their corner of the world constitutes an enemy that one can go to war with? Who do we bomb? The madrassas? The mosques? The market places? The homes? There is no way we can go to war against the "Islamists" because they're not an entity such as a nation. They have no armies to defeat, no government to take over. We drove the Taliban from governmental power, but they are still very much alive in Afghanistan where an insurgency is growing. If you favor your own survival, I suggest you learn to respect the desire of others to survive. Islamism as I understand it, doesn't want to rule us, but the have us out of their world. I have no problem with that. Let them live in the 7th Century if they choose to. That's their right. It's not our right to take over their countries for our oil needs.

We'll never agree on this. You seem to me to have a very naive notion of the character of this country and think that anyone who disagrees with out goals in the world are enemies to be crushed. That how I see your position. I'm probably exaggerating it, but that's how it seems and it disturbs me. As I'm sure my position disturbs you.

Mike Geary Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: Lawrence Helm