[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:40:35 -0800

Hi John.

Okay, let's clean this up a bit.  It would be a valid argument to say that
the Islamists do not intend to conquer us and therefore we shouldn't be
attacking them.  However, I don't believe you can produce the evidence to
support such an argument.  Not only do the writings of Sayyid Qutb and
Ruhollah Khomeini (the main Sunni and Shiite Islamist ideologues) advocate
such an attack, the followers of these ideologues are actively engaged in
carrying out these attacks.

Also, I don't think you are correct in your argument that the Islamist
insurgents represent Iraq.  Well over 70% of Iraqis showed up to vote in the
last election indicating that they favor a democratic government and not the
Islamist insurgents.  We are viewed as liberators by those who want
democracy (the bulk of the Iraqis).  We are viewed as conquerors by the
fascist Islamists.

We have freed Iraq from a brutal dictator.  We are encouraging the
development of democracy in Iraq.  We will leave when this new government
can handle its own insurgents.

Who says we are conquerors?  The Islamists and anti-Americans.

Who says we are liberators?  The people favoring democracy in Iraq.

You spoke of "evidence."  Over the years I have produced "evidence" in
copious and sometimes objectionable quantities.  I have been known to
challenge those who argue with me to produce evidence to support their
arguments.  Do you have evidence to show that the Islamists aren't attacking
us?  Do have evidence that the Islamists have not declared war against us?
Do you have evidence that the Islamists and other insurgents represent the
will of the majority in Iraq?

Lawrence