[lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden Tape

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 21:29:23 EST

I completely fail to understand how opposing the Islamists has anything to
do with attacking Iraq or ousting Sadaam.  He was a secularist, and what we
have done is open the country to waves of Islamists who have footholds and
bases
 for their agendas.  If you support the war on Iraq for other reasons,  fine.
 But I don't think you can make the case that attacking Iraq was an
opposition to the Islamists.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Text of bin Laden
Tape  Date: 1/20/06 8:04:47 PM Central Standard Time  From:
_lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We have an enemy: the  Islamists.  The Islamists want to conquer us.  We need
to oppose  them.
If you disagree you  should logically argue that we donât need to oppose them
or that they donât want  to conquer us.
If we arenât opposing  them as well as we ought, that doesnât detract from
the argument that we  ought to oppose them.   Although I did mention it as an
aside, the people are being provided with faulty  information by the media.  I
blame the media and the people for that.   The media for being perverse and
the people for being gullible, but I am not  surprised by any it.  We will (as
people) eventually learn that the enemy  is to be taken seriously â that he
does want to conquer us.  It took a lot  of blood to get us into both World
Wars.  We probably need to bleed a bit  more before we develop enthusiasm for
this one, but notice that Osama does  intend to make us bleed.
Lawrence