[haiku] Re: Suggestions to change double click on window title behaviour

  • From: Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 00:56:18 +0100

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mostly what you want is to have a UI that's as clear as possible, with the
> least amount of clogging by buttons, graphics and whatnot (so I'm not for
> the "hide" button). Some power user options therefore need to be hidden. I
> see no problem here in keeping the window as it is, offering ample
> functionality to the novice user and having more extensive operations
> enabled for more experienced users.

That's true. Though if we consider these as power functions, I think I'd
prefer if they were disabled by default. Computer illiterates might end up
with a cluttered desktop if they don't know how to hide windows, but from my
days at tech support it seems like a lot of people like to close all windows
they currently aren't using.

And if Haiku becomes the top dog of workspacing, it might near eliminate the
need for hiding windows for most users as you say.

> Absolutely true, it must not be used as a catch-all, but we must be
> somewhat pragmatic in this respect. I don't like a lot of things in Windows,
> but to some extent I must accept that things are the way they are. It
> extends to a lot of fields. I like Nikon D-SLRs better than Canon, because
> Nikon is more button-oriented, while Canon focuses more on menus. And that's
> fine; I can understand that people want to use Canon, or Windows, because
> they prefer one approach over the other.

Indeed, but I must add that even MS has been quite good at throwing old
concepts away (and mostly copying other OS:es rather than inventing) lately.
Suppose putting all options on different screens with a next button could be
considered as one of their core philosophies that I don't like :D

> I've been an advocate for advanced workspacing for years. DarkWyrm wrote an
> insightful piece on it for the OpenBeOS project years ago. I've actually
> asserted around 2004 that in order for Zeta/OBOS to maintain its pole
> position when it comes to workspaces, something will have to be done. We now
> see that in many aspects, the Mac OS has beaten the BeOS.
>
> Thanks for the Gnome tip, by the way. I have not seen it yet, so I will
> check it out!

Just give it a little time.. My first impression was that it looked like
some totally unnecessary crap, but after a while I started thinking it was a
pretty good idea. Tried it a little but it wasn't very stable at that
moment.

> Now THERE is an argument that works! I'm serious, so don't take this as
> sarcasm. I do, however, need some time to consider this. Consistency is a
> major topic for me. Double-clicking does work in OSX to minimize windows,
> but that's about the only example I can come up with that differs from the
> consistency. Good point!!

But OS X uses hover to select single click to open files, right? I've got
very little first hand experience of Macs so I'm not sure though.

> Well, pleased to meet you ;-) Late June I bought a Mac, and after having
> used Zeta (a closed-source BeOS derivate that is now no longer available), I
> felt I should read a book on it as well. I bought "Mac OS X Leopard: Beyond
> the Manual". I'm primarily one who tries to figure it out on his own, but
> for some additional features, tweaks and settings, this book was priceless!
>
> You're not representative for a regular computer user, and neither is
anyone willing to write their own OS from scratch :P

> Haha! Well for me it's been a few years since I first started using it, but
> I indeed remember that I had the same "huh?" experience when a window first
> disappeared. I may disagree with you on the solution, but don't let it stop
> you from carrying in points of improvement that long-time users don't see
> anymore.
>
> hehe, and I assume both you and I are quite experienced with computers, so
imagine the look on the face of someone who generally thinks computers are a
big mystery when that happens. I'm satisfied as long as people at least
really think about design decisions. If they can come up with some valid
reasons why it should be one way or the other, it doesn't matter if
everybody agrees with me :) Creating a new OS is an unique opportunity to
throw in some new and fresh ideas into the mix, which as you said, can
sometimes be bound by legacy philosophies. It would feel a little wasteful
to go with only the safe and well known.