[haiku] Re: Suggestions to change double click on window title behaviour

  • From: Maxime Simon <simon.maxime@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:55:55 +0100

> Ari, Maxime and Truls:
> If you think double click on title to minimize/hide is good, please add
> some reasons why you think it is. If you don't, you're only expressing your
> personal taste and not arguing your point.

You think like this simply because you come from the Windows/Linux world.
I think like that because I'm using Mac OSX and Haiku daily. :)
For someone who never used a computer before, I'm not sure that
"double-click -> maximize"
sounds natural at all. (And it's the same for "double-click -> minimize".)
I never said this feature should be something to make the newbie's life
easier. But when you
learn to use it, then it could be powerful. (in both case)
But as I said previously, on big screens maximizing is pretty impractical
(excepted if it
maximizes to the content). Anyway, that's why minimizing should be something
more important
to deserve the double-click.

@Maxime:
> You appear to consider a narrow tab very important. Why do you think those
> 5mm you gain more important than improved usability? Or is it that you don't
> think it would make the UI more usable (for the Haiku target group, not just
> yourself)? What about people with smaller screen or those who need to use
> lower resolution because of reduced eye-sight (scalable GUIs would be a
> better solution, but until we have that..)?

I'm a supporter of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). And multiplying the amount
of buttons
doesn't make it simple at all. (Don't pretend I said that I prefer having no
button at all. :p )
And I'm mostly sure that "normal" people don't open much more than 1 or 2
windows at
the same time on a desktop. (I have normal people at home to test that. :D )
Besides, if you are a power-user then you should know how to use multiple
workspaces.

And I strongly disagree with adding a window context menu to the middle
> mouse button for these reasons:
> - One of my earlier points was the title already has too many overloaded
> (hidden) functions.
> - Most PCs might have 3-button mice but what about laptops, computers with
> touch screens, Macs or people who use pen+tablet?
> - Context are opened with the right mouse button everywhere else.

I agree with the last point.
Nonetheless I disagree with the second one. There is always (I'm not sure
for touch screens)
a way to emulate a third click. ( And macs now have 2-3 buttons mouse. )

Regards,
--
Maxime