[haiku] Re: Suggestions to change double click on window title behaviour

  • From: Ankur Sethi <get.me.ankur@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:27:46 +0530

IMO, the Haiku UI could be made to look "modern" without many
under-the-hood changes. For example, choice of a good font and removal
of some visual noise (like needlessly thick window borders, and those
annoying borders around some BViews that make nested BViews look
*really* ugly).

The reason people find the OS X UI beautiful is that it's low-profile
and completely monochromatic (which makes it very easy on the eyes).
There is no visual noise anywhere. Most apps choose to club their
toolbars and titlebars, which further cuts down on unnecessary visual
noise introduced by dividers and toolbar borders. Plus, OS X keeps
applications menus on the top of the screen which, IMO, is a great
idea.

As examples, take a look at the Windows, KDE and GNOME file managers:

http://www.activewin.com/winvista/images/Windows%20Explorer%20-%20Preview%20Pane.png
http://polishlinux.org/reviews/ipod_i_linux/ipod_in_nautilus.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Dolphin-KDE4.jpg

Notice all the extraneous lines, icons, embellishments and text. Now
look at the Finder:

http://imagebin.org/70134

My point is, you don't need hardware accelerated whizz-bangery to make
an OS look great. OS X works perfectly on my plastic MacBook with only
on-board Intel graphics.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I'll now sign off so I can cram stuff
for my midsems :(

--
Salut,
General Maximus