[haiku] Re: Suggestions to change double click on window title behaviour

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 18:02:41 +0100 CET

Johan Aires Rastén <johan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ari, Maxime and Truls:
> If you think double click on title to minimize/hide is good,
> please add some reasons why you think it is. If you don't,
> you're only expressing your personal taste and not arguing
> your point.

15 years of collective taste!

As an aside, send-to-back (by right-clicking the window tab)
lessens the need to minimize windows, as you don't necessarily
have to minimize a window in the foreground to reveal windows
covered by it.

There are many ways to reveal covered windows, including Ctrl/
Alt-Tab, using Deskbar, or dbl-clicking. Especially Deskbar
should be a no-brainer even for newcomers. It's just a matter
of getting used to not having a minimize widget on window tabs.

I wonder if not this "one visible button per action" concept is
soon old school usability. With multitouch there's going to be
a whole new world of hidden functionality.

> @Maxime:
> You appear to consider a narrow tab very important. Why do
> you think those 5mm you gain more important than improved
> usability?

When stacking windows, having narrow tabs allows for more
windows to be stacked and still have their full window
titles show.

> From a pure user point of view, is there really such a big
> difference between a hidden application and a non-running
> application?

Maybe not in a fully document- or task-centric system.
Which Haiku clearly is not, IMO. (In spite of what was
claimed for BeOS.)

> Would a system that instantly restores any application be
> considered "ideal", and how close to this could we get in
> reality?

That's an interesting question, but I think the constant-on
computer usage we're seeing these days lessens the need to
come up with elaborate session management and app state saving.

/Jonas.