[haiku] Re: Suggestions to change double click on window title behaviour

  • From: Eddy Groen <eddyspeeder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2009 17:45:14 +0100

> The posters above made me think about one thing though.. Hiding windows is
> used for two slightly different purposes.
> A) To avoid filling the screen with windows. Hiding is more of a workaround
> than a solution to this. If we get better tools for using workspaces this
> problem might be eliminated, thus reducing the need for a hide/minimize
> button.
> B) To hide windows that are only occasionally required, for example a music
> player or an IM conversation. Maybe this be solved in some better way too?
> To me it's essential to be able to hide these kind of background services.
> One possible idea would be to stick the music player on a separate workspace
> and close the IM windows instead of hiding.

C) Moving multiple windows from one workspace to another without drag >
switch to workspace #2 > drop > revert to workspace #1 > repeat n times. Not
that this is done often, but just to complete the list :-P

Here's an alternative idea: what if double-click will not hide the window
but minimize the window to just the yellow tab. That means it still remains
visible but reduces to just a draggable yellow area. It will help prevent
new users from getting lost when their active window suddenly starts playing
hide-and-seek with them.

One condition I have, though, is that it should still be possible to hide a
window some way or another (like it is possible in OSX through the Dock or
CMD+H).

Oh by the way, for the OSX users: try doing shift + double-click some time.
It will minimize a window... very... slowly. Also works for reopening it.
Ugh talking about needless eye-candy.