[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:21:42 -0400

Sorry we are getting really off-topic with the Go discussion.

As for the topic Niels raised, I've thought for a while that we need
to do more releases. I think we have attached too much significance to
releases in the past, and I think we should try to move more into the
release early, release often philosophy (without getting too
ridiculous like weekly or daily OS updates, which is something I hate
in Windows and Linux.)

Having the package management is the primary road block to an easily
update-able system. Having that infrastructure makes releases less
important because improvements to things like WebPositive or Wifi
support or other needed changes can always be done with updates after
a release.

So I think our primary focus for an upcoming release should be to vet
the package management system as much as possible and provide the
server infrastructure and code support within Haiku to be able to
upgrade Haiku itself as well as included applications.

Later marketing efforts can then focus on nice upgrades to apps or
other parts of Haiku instead of these large, infrequent, monolithic
releases.

If package management is the last major feature we think we need for
R1, then I say we call the next release a beta, or a developer
release. Improvements to existing parts of Haiku can always be done
after that.

--
Regards,
Ryan