[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:00:40 -0400

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> I messaged you off-list as well, but wanted to mention I have interest
>> in working on this.

> FWIW I'm interested in helping with this too. Unfortunately my free
> time is quite limited at the moment because of an upcoming product
> release at my job. I'm hoping this will ease up in October.

My job is kind of limiting my spare time as well (lots of overtime),
but I basically decided I need to work on something else for a while
for sanity reasons.  :)

> If I had the choice for a technology stack for this Haiku software
> review system, I would use Google Go as the backend for a JSON REST
> API, and then various client apps, including a modern AngularJS based
> web app.

I admit I haven't messed with any of that (well, except for REST in a
general sense), but am willing to do whatever.

> I'd rather not use Ruby on Rails for many reasons I won't go into, and
> I won't touch PHP with a 10 foot pole. In fact I don't think I want to
> work on anything except what I described.

I prefer not touching anything Ruby (what can I say, I dislike Ruby as
much as I dislike Java and Perl), so am glad you mentioned not using
Ruby.  That said, I would have still been on board if it was decided
to use it, as I'd rather use what will result in an optimal solution
in a reasonable amount of time.

Why the hate for PHP?  I code in PHP all day and don't find it too
bad.  That said, maybe I don't see its negative attributes since I'm
so entrenched in it on a regular basis.  :)

I'll look into the other options you mentioned to get myself more
familiar with them other than basically just knowing them by name.

- joe