[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:44:02 -0400

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 10:49 AM, Niels Sascha Reedijk
<niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Considering the fact that Package Management is one of the corner stones of
> our R1 Roadmap, and the fact that package management will be merged in the
> coming week, we propose the following:
>
> * We will aim for a release of the first beta of Haiku in the next 2-3
> months.

I was glad to see this email, as I was telling people at the Ohio
Linuxfest that I would be proposing a new release on the mailing list
once I got back home if nobody else had already mentioned it.

One thing I've heard more than once from Haiku users at OLF this year
was, "You guys don't release enough."  I was asked many times when the
next release would be, and I told these people that if I had to guess,
it would be about two months away once we were sure that package
management was working well and that any longstanding, critical bugs
were addressed.  I was asked if it would be an alpha or a beta, and I
said that I wasn't sure yet.  I said it would more than likely be an
alpha 5, although it could potentially be beta 1 if we were 100% sure
the functionality was all there.  I told them that if the first beta
doesn't come out this year, then it would almost certainly come out
next year.

Another question I was asked was if Haiku the OS I spent the majority
of my time using.  I said no, it

The main thing I got from talking to people is that not all of them
are comfortable running nightlies, and would like to see official
releases come out more often.  Essentially, people would like to see
new releases every 6-8 months from what I can tell.