[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 17:03:10 +0200

Hi,

Am 16.09.2013 um 16:44 schrieb Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>:
> The main thing I got from talking to people is that not all of them
> are comfortable running nightlies, and would like to see official
> releases come out more often.  Essentially, people would like to see
> new releases every 6-8 months from what I can tell.

One development in applications and OS deployment seems to be "rolling
releases". Individual features get pushed as an update as soon as they are
ready, and not in batches with long waiting times in between. The meaning is a
bit different for OSs and apps, but you probably understand what I mean.

I think Haiku can only do this when infrastructure is in place that supports
this being mostly automatic. Otherwise there is just too much overhead for us.
There will need to be different update channels which users can subscribe to. I
think the switch to git was an important step into making this technically
possible where there are different branches and patch sets get merged between
those branches. I don't know how good it can work in practice.

Ideally the package management will provide the technical basis for this on the
client side. The repositories that a user can subscribe to would depend on the
update channel (nightly or stable). We would also need a mechanism for how
stuff gets transferred from the nightly channel (git master) into the stable
channel (release/stable branch). I suppose stuff needs to be flagged as being
stable by users of the nightly channel. But I wonder how well we can keep track
of what commits constitute a specific "feature" or a specific "fix". And what
got already merged and what hasn't…

I guess my point is that ideally we would aim to skip a fixed release cycle
altogether and implement a rolling release right from the "start" (the PM
reboot).

Best regards,
-Stephan