[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Jessica Hamilton <jessica.l.hamilton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 06:23:01 +1200

On 17 September 2013 21:27, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 17.09.2013 11:01, schrieb Marcus Jacob:
>
>> But all the above arguments are driven from a technical point of
>> view. Now let's try to look at it from a marketing point of view.[...]
>>

>> Therefore I think its important to not only judge release or not and
>> when to release based on the given technical facts, but also from a
>> marketing point of view. And since the last release is almost a year
>> ago,  from a marketing point of view it makes sense to push a new
>> release for this fall.
>>
>> This will create a slight buzz again and might keep Haiku on the
>> radar, even though all those mobile stuff seems to be much more
>> interesting at the moment.
>>

> When and if PM is "usable" as the basis even for a rolling release, it is
> clear there has to be at least one more "regular" release that kicks it off
> and gets PM onto the hard drives.
>
> If people agree a release should be done, for whatever reason, the next
> question is always what should be in it, feature-wise and bug-fix-wise, in
> order not to give a bad impression with that release. A release most likely
> generates buzz. But an aweful, buggy release might not bode well with the
> audience we want to attract. Which would be a small percentage of those
> "give a short try once a new official release is out" types that happen to
> be developers and could be motivated to start contributing.

Bringing the discussion back on topic, I think we all agree a release
should be done. My only concern personally is rushing to beta status.

The releases have always been in my mind a way to broadcast the
achievements and progress of Haiku thus far, and I don't see calling the
next release alpha5 as diminishing to Ingo & Oliver's work on package
management.

I would like to see work towards an alpha 5 release, to gauge what the
effort of doing a full release with the aid of package management, and
whether it will actually be feasible to shorten release cycles as we then
begin to focus on beta releases, release candidates, and the final R1.

I'm really trying to look at this from a perspective of a user, not a
developer. And honestly, as a beta, I expect to find a system that's
useful, and package management doesn't do much in that regard. It makes it
easier to use for installing stuff, but it doesn't make Haiku inherently
more useful. And don't get me wrong, I'm blown away by the work Ingo &
Oliver have done; I seriously had doubts it would work as well as it does.
And so another release certainly ought to highlight their fantastic work.

That's it from me :-)