[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:08:11 +0200

Am 16.09.2013 um 17:18 schrieb Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>:

> 2013/9/16 Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
>> I guess my point is that ideally we would aim to skip a fixed release cycle
>> altogether and implement a rolling release right from the "start" (the PM
>> reboot).
>
> +1

This also needs a lot of work up front. Ingo specifically mentioned to me that
dealing with subtle PM concerns like a broken or slow Internet connection was
not their priority. As such, the PM functionality needs to be fleshed out a lot
before it can be used "in the wild". Getting it to work under mostly ideal
conditions was enough work already. But at the "end user" I can attest that
conditions are never ideal. It will take long enough until most potential
sources of problems are found and fixed.

The infra structure within the Haiku community to support a rolling release
with two channels is also not easy to setup. Many of us work on various parts
of Haiku in very little spare time, sometimes with huge pauses. We need to
exploit the existing web of trust to build this infrastructure. To give an
example: A new version of some software package does not get pushed to the
stable channel unless one ore more known individuals tested that version and
said it works well. Regardless of how much delay that introduces for that
specific package.

And this all has a substantial technical side as well, where tools and
workflows need to be built to make this all as painless as possible. This
process and transition could take many months or even years.

Best regards,
-Stephan