[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:49:40 +0200

Am 16.09.2013 um 11:55 schrieb Przemysław Pintal <premislaus1988@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Another reasons... We have two upcoming contracts, scheduler and Web+.
> It is very important contracts, because our browser is very poor, very
> slow, does not support HTML5 video and audio tag, etc.. Sometimes I
> talk with people, who from time to time are testing Haiku on any
> official release. They abandon Haiku due to poor browser. New
> scheduler will allow us to avoid many problems, such as system freeze.
>
> And what about the:
>
> *IMAP - https://github.com/axeld/haiku/tree/imap
> *TRIM - https://github.com/axeld/haiku/tree/trim
> *EFI - https://github.com/tqh/haiku/tree/efi
>
> And so on.

+1. The idea is usually that going into release mode with a target date gets
developers to put in more work towards the release. That may partially be true
and there might indeed by slightly more activity. But I don't see (at all) how
all this stuff will get worked on and implemented in the proposed timeframe.
Especially PM will probably need a lot of time after the merge until we are all
happy with how it works and all the kinks are worked out. That's not to say
Ingo and Oliver have not already worked out many kinks and have put in a lot of
thought and anticipated many problems. But I am still sure that after the much
bigger exposure after the merge, there will still be enough issues to sort out.
The point of the Beta release would be to be "convincing enough".

Best regards,
-Stephan