[haiku-development] Re: Proposal from Begeistert: Getting Ready for the First Beta

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 12:08:06 -0400

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:24 AM, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> Stephan Aßmus wrote:

> I have started coding the software center type application, initiated by a
> mockup from Humdinger. It prompted me to envision how I would like this new
> system of installing software to work. A lot of pieces are needed to work
> together here. The actual PM framework in the OS is just one. There needs to
> be some kind of online platform where users can contribute information about
> software packages (screenshots, translations of descriptions, just plain
> opinioned ratings). This will be a web application, similar to how Haiku
> translations are handled. The software center app needs to pull information
> from there. Building this infrastructure is all web development work.
> Something I have mostly no clue about.

I messaged you off-list as well, but wanted to mention I have interest
in working on this.  I already do web development as my full-time job
now, so might as well work on something I truly care about in my spare
time.  Like you mentioned, none of this will get done if more of us
don't get out of the "waiting" mode.

- joe